We have a vacancy for a motivated Production Controller to work on a broad list of 4-colour books. Reporting to the Production Manager, the Production Controller will work on a varied range of new, reprint and foreign language titles from initial manuscript to finished books, ensuring they are produced to the highest standard, to schedule and within budget.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
• Check schedule for assigned titles from manuscript to finished books including delivery to warehouse
• Attend start-up meetings for assigned titles and ensure books can be produced within budget and schedule and according to foreign language requirements
• Advise design department on file set-up and co-edition requirements
• Arrange repro within budget, schedule and place work with repro house
• Check interior and cover files in InDesign on receipt from the design department before despatching to repro
• Maintain regular contact with printers to ensure schedule doesn’t slip
• Liaise directly with foreign language customers from confirmation of order to final delivery
This role would suit a production professional with 1-2 years experience who is perhaps looking to move from mono to 4-colour production, or someone interested in working on a more varied range of books on popular subjects.
• Proven production experience
• Good understanding of the production process
• Great communication and organisation skills
• Ability to work well in a team
• Sound commercial awareness
• Strong IT skills, including InDesign
For further details of this interesting production role, please send your CV and covering letter to Sarah Corteel, Production Director (firstname.lastname@example.org), outlining your salary expectations.
Children's Book Designers
Carlton Books are currently looking for talented in-house designers, recent graduates and experienced designers to work on our exciting highly visual children’s list. Candidates should be imaginative, inventive, able to visualise core children’s topics and work to a very high standard in a fast paced creatively charged environment.
Candidates should have an enthusiasm for children’s books and illustration, able to work with a team as well as individually as a motivated self-starter. Experience of working with InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator is desirable. Knowledge and/or experience of UX/UI design would be a bonus.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter (stating your current salary) along with a PDF or link to your portfolio to:
Clare Baggaley, Creative Director email@example.com
Work Experience & Internships
We offer work experience throughout the year for up to four weeks at a time, these placements are primarily focused on editorial, marketing, publicity, design and sales, we also offer valuable experience in all departments of our business.
We also run a number of Internships, which can last up to six months. These internships give students the chance to fully immerse themselves in the role, team and company, to work on projects and to gain a thorough understanding of how the publishing process works.
While our placements are unpaid, we do offer payment towards reasonable travelling expenses and a daily lunch allowance. The experience you will gain is invaluable.
Working for the Carlton Publishing Group
Our Vision and Values
To be the most commercially and creatively successful independent book publisher.
Our Key Principles
- Professionalism in everything: Strive to be the best that you can be.
Think smarter, act faster and negotiate harder than our competition.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit and Global Vision: passionately pursue growth.
Seek out new markets, new publishing opportunities and new consumers.
- Creativity: the ability to identify and deliver successful concepts and ideas.
Having a clear understanding of our assets, content and core strengths.
- Positivity: the attitude to make great things happen.
Have the confidence to fix what’s wrong and celebrate what’s right.
- Respect: treat everyone as you would expect to be treated.
Keep our commitment to our customers, our colleagues and ourselves.
- Enjoyment: enjoy what we do.
Love our work and let that passion show in every title we publish.
- To be recognised as creative pioneers in the global book market.
- To deliver excellence and be the envy of our competitors.
- To invest and innovate to stay ahead in a changing world.
- To train and retain the best people to share in our success.
- To be the best communicators to each other and to the world.